Check your cervical mucous. Just before ovulation, it is thin and clear and looks like uncooked eggwhites. This is the time to have intercourse.
You can use LH surge predictor kits to confirm ovulation. These are urine test kits sold at the Pharmacy. They indicate when the hormone, LH, is surging. This happens about 36 hours before the egg is released. This may help to tell you when to have intercourse.
Increase the frequency of intercourse to 2-3 times per week
If you need to use lubricants, there are some that don’t interfere with the sperm's motility, and these are preferable, including vegetable oils (olive oil, coconut oil)
Total 5 year live birth rates are strongly influenced by a woman’s age. Below is the long-term prognosis for live birth in couples initiating fertility treatments, according to a national cohort study from Denmark.
< 35: 80%
64% from treatment
35 - 39: 60%
49% from treatment
>= 40: 26%
16% from treatment
It costs a lot of money to see a fertility specialist.
- Your initial visits for you and your partner are covered by OHIP
- Most of your tests are also covered by OHIP, although there are a few that are not insured. You will be informed of these at your initial visit. The fee for these tests is paid at the time when they are done.
- Your medication costs during treatment are not covered unless you are insured privately or through your workplace
- Some of the procedure costs are not covered if you are doing intrauterine insemination (IUI)
- Procedure costs are not covered if you are doing in vitro fertilization (IVF) unless you are eligible for a funded IVF cycle.
Reduced fertility is usually the woman’s issue
- 1/3 of the time, there is a female -related issue, 1/3 of the time, there is a male-related issue, and 1/3 of the time, the problem is related to both partners
- This is why fertility specialists want to see both partners for consultation, and investigations.